Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Traffic jammin'


Having started working in the city, a 50 minute drive from the quiet farm life where I live, I now wake up every morning at 4.30 to leave by 5am, to get to work at 6am.
God forbid I leave 15 minutes later, or even 5 minutes later. That's the thing about traffic in Johannesburg - the city of smog, impatient drivers and ugly scenery - it depends on time. Being 10 minutes late will set you back about an hour. Being 5 minutes early will bring you forward 30 minutes. Just those few little seconds, those few itty bitty minutes will dictate how you're going to spend your morning - whether breezing through the roads, or stuck in traffic.
On the odd occasions when I tell my alarm clark to fuck off and sleep in for those extra little 5 minutes (even 5min does a world of good!) I wind up cemented in bumper to bumper traffic, burning the clutch of my car and having my morning dose of getting high on petrol fumes (no wonder I'm such a happy morning person.)

Now when in this situation, what does one do to entertain oneself? Yes, having a CD player helps, or a radio, as you can sing to your heart's desire whilst the person in the front car is laughing his head off at you whilst peering through his review mirror. But sadly my radio is not working (a fuse blew) so there'll be no singing loudly, nor anymore laughing at me. I have suffered the no-radio-problem for months now so I'm using this blog as a brainstorm for ways to keep entertained whilst stuck in traffic.

One could smoke. It's amazing how many smokes you can cram into an hours driving session. Let's play the game of "HOT BOX THE CAR!" Two, get acquainted with the GPS. I'm sure everyone loves the sexy accent of the female who talks on the device and who can't say the street names properly. No wait, actually let's laugh at the GPS. The third way to keep amused is to try new routes to work and get lost in the many dead ends you encounter. Although you wasting time, and petrol, at least you'll be using the time in a busy manner in stead of sitting for the same time on the same route. Four, the sms marathon where we catch up on sms's, phone calls and communication. I know it's illegal to use your phone when driving - but squeezed between two trucks going no where can't be considered driving.

I've got to get used to this traffic, and these fucken early mornings. Hopefully it doesn't kill me. But if I leave early enough and beat it, then I can watch the sun rise and there's no need for entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment