Monday, December 12, 2011

Humble relaxation



So I sat waiting for my sister from Cape Town to meet me. There in the middle of Nelson Mandela Square at Sandton City - the pretentious and snob capital of JHB - I parked myself on the steps in front of all the restaurants and rich people eating their gourmet meals. Where I was sitting... it's like being on display. A place for all the people who are on their smoke breaks to sit, or for those who were waiting for someone, or (like me) those who have no money to shop or dine at a restaurant.

I thought - what a better time to read my book. So out came my book. Whilst reading, it was like I was in my own world. Oblivious to those walking back and forward, rushing here and there. It was as if a sense of calmness came over me. I was relaxed, really relaxed.

I felt like I was from a scene in a book:

There she sat, perched on the step with the sun rays warming her skin. Quietly she sat, turning the pages of her book. Her friends, the hungry pigeons came to greet her.



It's amazing in life how we are so busy that we don't stop to just sit and watch. Observe. Well after reading, I just stared and observed the people around me. Their busyness made me feel more relaxed. Then two people sat next to meet and started to chat. It was like another scene from a book:

"Two friendly people approached the lady, who was indulged in her book. Out of no where, the three people converged into a light-hearted and refreshing conversation."

So there I was... relaxed.

I was also humbled. I watched the people in the restaurants eating. I am broke today. I didn't even have money for a drink or some food. (Don't worry, income is coming in soon - although that's not the point) I felt like a beggar - wanting to eat but have no money. Wanted to maybe shop but have no money. It's like I am almost in their shoes. I have empathy for them. I am humbled.

So from now on... I am going to take more time to just sit and read, or observe, or greet the pigeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment