Monday, December 19, 2011

Our farm is growing!



Meet Salt, Pepper, Betsie and Herbert. The four new additions to our farm. We have three hens and one rooster. They are Indian gamer and Road Island Red chickens.

What a great buy! I've been wanting these furry friends for some time now, and they're finally here. Gone are those machine made eggs from groceries stores - that look opaque when scrambled. I'm a'gonna have me some yellow, fresh and FREE eggs soon.

At least these birds are an investment - and will save us some money on buying eggs, as well as selling them. With 3 eggs a day from the hens - there's lots to go around.

I always said I'd live on a farm, and bit by bit my farm is becoming more and more complete. Over-joyed I'd say. Next to follow is a black pot-bellied pig - he'll be the black sheep of the farm family. And then maybe a cow and a horse. We have sheep already so no need for them. Besides, I don't eat lamb... puke.

At least if 2012 hits, we'll be self-sustainable. And if desperation calls for it, we can eat the birds or allow them to have chicks and eat those - but hey, befriending Salt, Pepper, Betsie and Herbert means we can't eat them. It'll be like eating a dog. No thanks - eggs is all we need.

Welcome to the family my clucking friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment