Thursday, September 16, 2010

A gem in the city



Jo'burg is a concrete jungle.

Being Capetonian at heart, I have always felt that JHB is limited in terms of things to do. (I'd rather have the beach) But, once in a while you come across a gem in the city... sometimes in the form of a place, a botanical garden or a particular venue. It's these places that make you forget you are living in this concrete jungle.

I found a gem in the city.

Anyone for a womble in the jungle?

Wombles Restaurant, in Parktown North, is a gem.

I went with my hubi this week, where we were wined and dined.

Unaware of the dress code, I rocked up looking like a scobe. "Hi, I look like a 12-year old cheap-skate but can I please have a table for two. Oh and by the way... I have a voucher for R500-00, so basically I have no cash." (The voucher was given to us by my sister and her boyfriend. They missed out!)

Never have I experienced such service like this.

Chairs were pulled out for me.
My peas and carrots were served to me on my plate.
My serviette was placed on my lap by the hostess.

Wow, whose the queen now bitches?

And the food... wow, don't get me started on this. Steak to die for. Chips to salivate over and honey butternut and spinach to make your stomach growl.

I was also joined by my two friends - Mr Whiskey and Mrs Ginger Ale.
They brought their cousins and family relatives (I had more then one.)

"Hi, my name is Stacey Rowan and I am addicted to W & G.A."

They had different waiters for different roles. One to bring drinks, one to bring food, one to fix my serviette every nine seconds. (yes, they actually did this!)

After stuffing myself stupid, my husband and I sat around the bonfire drinking our beverages - wow, I felt like I was in Africa. How nice it was to relax and get away from it all....

(This could be a potential place where my husband can propose to me...)

Not only did Chris & I enjoy the benefits of Wombles - but Harry and Sally (my doggies) also had the benefit of chewing on the half masticated bones from our steaks the night before. Their enjoyment was cleverly visible in the 100 and 1 poos found on the floor the next morning. Delightful!

So yes, Wombles ranks one of the top on my list of restaurants.

Highly recommended!

1 comment: